The Garfagnana
San Pellegrino
At 1,525 meters above sea level rises the village that is located at the highest point of the Apennines: San Pellegrino in Alpe.
A strategic point, in the past that connected the north of Italy with the rest of the peninsula.

The history of the village and its importance is reflected from crossing hospitable, that today houses the Museum of Ethnography (Museum of the campaign and the past life), ("Museo della campagna e della vita di ieri").
The first room was first opened on August 1970. A year after they were opened two more salons.
Then completed the restoration work carried out by the Soprintendenza di Pisa "(lasted for three years), were reconstructed in a museum basement, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room for agriculture and baking, others for the tanning, spinning, processing of hemp, flax, wool, embroidery for a lounge, a shoemaking, a hall kitchen utensils, for tobacco stores and salons in baskets, the carpenter, the blacksmith, the miller and, finally, an attic.

We can not forget also to mention the village of Pieve Fosciana, which extends on the terraces plains, on the Apennines side, of the valley of the Serchio.
Known for its thermal springs and the ancient church, Pieve Fosciana relies on water sulfur-radioactive of the lake of Prà di Lama.

The municipality of Castiglione di Garfagnana, which extends into the Media Valle del Serchio (between the Alps and the Apennines) was originally the domain of Gherardinghi.
It was then occupied by Lucchese (1169 and 1227) and suffered violence during the Nazi German occupation.
Known to the medieval village, Castiglione is also famous for the presence of plants skiing (location of Casone di Profecchia).
To remember the Passo delle Radici (Radici Pass), only for the variety of access (eight on the side of Emilia Romagna) and the length of back from the Po Valley.

The story of the pilgrim is history

1004-2004: a thousand years of history and traditions with pride and perpetuate a spirit of extraordinary.
Thousand years that in 2004 the community of San Pellegrino has decided to celebrate with a significant investment in economic and human effort directed toward three areas: cultural initiatives, initiatives folkloric character and actions of a religious nature.

Legend: Saint Pellegrino, The Devil and the Mount Forato.

Ethnographic Museum

The undertaking more onerous and burdensome from a cultural point of view is the restoration of the frescoes of the parish church.
In the sacristy frescoes illustrating the story of the holy pilgrimage, and the boy who accompanied him, that, on a pilgrimage to Rome, claims to Count Ermanno hospitality.
The count would have granted the hospitality, but his servant Ono sends them away and both will death in a night of storm.
Have found dates that ensure the achievement of many of the frescoes in this church in 1300.
Date on which the memory of the story of the holy pilgrim must have been very recently handed down from fathers to sons. It is believed that this event has actually happened.

In the church there are many frescoes. Some, ten are of Matteo da Gualdo.
In this church several authors have worked and probably school Marche.
And there is a very specific historical reason, because this church formerly belonged to Fonte Avellana and until 1700 was managed by the monks of Fonte Avellana.
Thus, these monks wore Marchigiani authors, because they were the ones who knew.
We find the fact polyptych Di Girolamo da Camerino.
There are frescoes commissioned by Antonia Magni, which are the work of a painter who has achieved at least eight paintings, recognizable by a particular: some roses with a crown of 8 dots, as well as other testimonies of other authors.

The columns that support the three arches are separated by walls and have been implemented, then, later, after 1400, and at some point also hide fragments of frescoes.

San Pellegrino was a very poor parish. Until 40 years ago all the other parishes had a farm, San Pellegrino was not one square meter of land.
Why, despite this, the church is rich in works of art?
In the past, the people, when they died, rather than leave everything as an inheritance to family members, given a substantial part of its assets to enrich the church.
The polyptych Girolami John was commissioned by a priest, Father Angelo of Gualdo Tadino.
Another painting by Giammarchi has been commissioned by another devotee.

During the restoration of the frescoes in the church have been discovered that date from 1300 suggest that the story of the pilgrim is not a legend but true story.
The frescoes from 1300 to 1600 of the crucifixion.

In the preparation of the Millennium celebrations of the story of the San Pellegrino Pellegrino, a major part is occupied by the restoration of the frescoes of the church.
A valuable intervention in cultural but economically costly for a small fact like that of San Pellegrino in Alpe.

Why not the artists signed the frescoes?
We do not know exactly. Probably the fact that evidence there was to be the artist, but the developer, who paid for the project.
In one of the paintings we read that was commissioned by a certain Antonia Magni.